Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

DECEMBER BLUES...




On a brigth sunny December afternoon,I and my good friend Tunji were on our way to summer lesson-it was primary5 the class of the big boys-on the way,I informed my good friend that I had some money on me,he stoped,turned and looked at me with extreme joy in his eyes"you for talk since now,hiss lets go and buy the usual".we  humbly changed direction knowing that in life,there are more important things than education.Finally,we arrived at our destination,with our beating hearts filled with ecstacy"Aunty Aina pls we want to buy BANGER(knockouts),one packet"she duly obliged us and we resumed our journey.The bangers we bought were the famous three in one kind.
We opened our package which consisted of five sticks and started to make merry.We blew one each by holding the tip,letting it blow two times then throwing the end on the floor for the final BANG.We now had three remaining which we shared,leaving one in the pack.I decided to put mine inside an empty beer can to see the manifestation of the power of my banger and also as a scientific experiment,the can flew so high-over my head-that i became inspired
 "tunji did you see that"i shouted,"na so them they make space ship oh!,with fire under"."You just find out" Tunji retorted with irritation showing clearly on his face" you just waste that banger,see wetin I go do with my own".He tiptoed quiely close to a house sporting an open window,he bent down,lit the banger and tossed it through the window.We had run 3 to 5 meters from the house when we heard BANG,BANG,BANG."JEESSSUUSSS"screamed a female voice.We fell down laughing and patting ourselves on the back"JEESSSUUSSs"Tunji said mimicking the female voice"that girl no get liver,make we dey go jo".Finally we had one banger left."Tunji wath should we do with this banger now?"We looked around for inspiration,i found nothing except a younger boy who was the brother to a female class mate of ours"guy"I said, "there is nothing intresting yet oh,lets save it"but as the saying goes-A man looks around and sees nothing while another looks around and sees great oportunities!-my estimable friend looked at me with disbelief in his eyes"cant you see what im seeing"."what"i said looking round again,"See Kome's brother"he replied"and so what!"i retorted."Chei! you are daft"he said.I have an idea,
"let us tell him,that we have a letter for his sister,ligth the banger and put it in his pocket"."WoW!,Tunji you are good lets do it sharp! sharp!I replied.
"Akin pls come",I said."we have a letter for your sister,and I want you to help me give it to her"."okay" he replied,so I went to Tunji's back acted as if i was taking the letter from his bag meanwhile,i was trying to ligth the banger.Fortunately or unfortunately,the banger refused to ligth"Jay you no sabi do anything bring the bag let me give him the stuff jo".He came to my back,lit the banger and put it into his pocket"dont open it oh!its for your sister eyes only",the boy nodded his head in accordance and started on his way home.
BANG,BANG,BANG."AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH"he screamed and started running home wailing."HAHAHAAHAAHAHA"we burst into laughter"Tunji we are blessed,wow that was beautiful lets start going to lesson"I said, "we have tried for today".
We attended lesson,grininnig from ear to ear,extremly happy with our escapedes.
On our way home from lesson,releiving our joyous moments,suddenly,we saw a hoarde of close to 20 women running vigouriously in our direction,"Tunji,were are this women running to?"I asked glancing backwards looking around for any sign of chaos,"I dont know oh"he said,also looking around him."lets just keep walking".
"SEE THEM"a shout rent the air.By then,it was far to late to react,the women had caugth up with us.Blows upon blows reigned down on us,we were kicked,knocked,elbowed and slapped to the ground,they then procceded to drag us to our respective homes.
"Mama Obus"they shouted come and see what your son has done.My mother came out bewirlderd."whats hapenning what did he do again"the boy was brought foward and his injury was shown to us,his thighs had been burnt and his skin was seriously charred.they told my mother the story then a woman asked her if she gave me the money to buy bangers,trust my mother,she quickly said"NO! I did not,ask him where he got it from?"."You,where did you get the money from?""I...I..I borrowed it from my mummys bag".
Blows reigned down on my head once again"see him,thief this evening we are going to take you to prison,you will see yourself small criminal,so who put it in his pocket?".My chance to reedem myself had come.
I quickly pointed at my good friend and shouted"HE'S THE ONE".
Ofcourse they dragged him home...and thats a story for another day..
That night I begged my mother not to let them take me to prison and promised never to touch a banger again....and till date I have never Lit a banger.....Keep it beautiful.....
 The official top tens starts next week..

No comments:

Post a Comment